Jackie Chan Is Sports Ambassador

Share the latest Entertainment news with everyone here!
Dah_jOkA

Jackie Chan Is Sports Ambassador

Post by Dah_jOkA »

Hong Kong film star Jackie Chan joins rugby icon Du Plessis and track hero Moses as foundation ambassador.

The Laureus Sport for Good Foundation on Friday embraced Jackie Chan as one of their own, inviting him to become Hong Kong's first Laureus Friend and Ambassador.

American track legend Edwin Moses and South African rugby icon Morne du Plessis both welcomed Chan into the fold in recognition of his efforts to improve the lives of disadvantaged children around the world.

Moses, who accompanied Chan to Cambodia last year to tackle the issue of landmines, praised the martial arts icon for his compassion towards others.

"My five days with Jackie were outstanding. Seeing him in the hospitals in Cambodia, it was obvious to see the respect and compassion this man has by the way he treats those around him," said Moses.

Describing Chan as a kindred spirit, Moses said he looked forward to working with Chan. "One thing we all have in common is we are very lucky people to have accomplished what we have in our fields, and we would like to continue to give something back whenever and wherever we can."

Speaking at his first visit to the Hong Kong Sevens, Chan praised Laureus for its dedication and enthusiasm for their work, recounting how they leapt at a chance to accompany him to strife-stricken regions of southeast Asia.

"I remember when I first met representatives from Laureus at the China Top Ten Sports Awards, and we were chatting less than 10 minutes before I had persuaded them to come and visit Cambodia and Banda Aceh," he recalled.

"I am very honoured to become a friend of this great organisation. Children have lots of energy and without expending it they can get themselves into trouble. But with sport, it doesn't matter if it's rugby, football or basketball, it is the best way to put them on the right path."

Du Plessis thought he could make a rugby player out of Chan yet. "In one of the projects we support in Hong Kong, Operation Breakthrough, the kids have managed to turn themselves into great players within two years of picking up a rugby ball. It's absolutely amazing," he said.

"I'm sure with Jackie's speed, strength and talent, we could probably do it in a month."

But Chan didn't sound all that keen to try his hand at the contact sport. "I still have a bad bruise on my chest," he revealed of an injury he received while shooting his latest film BB Plan.

"It even hurts to breathe. I don't think I'm in much shape to play rugby."

The Laureus Sport for Good Foundation is a charitable organisation that uses sport as a vehicle to drive for social change.

SOURCE: http://en.chinabroadcast.cn/349/2006/04/01/44@70037.htm // AF Entertainment
RAP IS A GENRE // HIP-HOP IS A LIFESTYLE