ad blocker

Need help in the world of technology? Here is the section for you, or talk about your favourite tech related topic, or what is new in the world of tech here.
Skeithex
Has no home to go to

Re: ad blocker

Post by Skeithex »

Actually that would only protect you if you're currently on, not sure if you can or if all routers support VPN that would protect you should someone hijack your wifi.
froggyboy604
Anime music gaming Fanatic

Post by froggyboy604 »

I think some of the cheaper routers may not support VPNs.

Hopefully, the guy, which hijacks a person Wi-fi router to download pirated files, is using a good VPN, so the owner of the copyrighted files is less likely to ask the VPN provider to hand over the router's owner's home address.
Skeithex
Has no home to go to

Post by Skeithex »

I'll have to see if my router takes VPN, but if I set that up wouldn't it mess with my internet if the VPN acts up or disconnects?
froggyboy604

Post by froggyboy604 »

Skeithex wrote:I'll have to see if my router takes VPN, but if I set that up wouldn't it mess with my internet if the VPN acts up or disconnects?
It can be possible for a VPN to mess with your router internet if the VPN goes offline,

I think most VPN have many connections and servers, so VPN disconnections are less common than ISP disconnect problems.

I know a lot of people in non-US countries use VPN to use websites like social networks and online video sites which are blocked in their country, so I think VPN are more reliable because so many people use them, so the VPN owner may try harder to keep their VPN online.
Skeithex
Has no home to go to

Post by Skeithex »

froggyboy604 wrote:
Skeithex wrote:I'll have to see if my router takes VPN, but if I set that up wouldn't it mess with my internet if the VPN acts up or disconnects?
It can be possible for a VPN to mess with your router internet if the VPN goes offline,

I think most VPN have many connections and servers, so VPN disconnections are less common than ISP disconnect problems.

I know a lot of people in non-US countries use VPN to use websites like social networks and online video sites which are blocked in their country, so I think VPN are more reliable because so many people use them, so the VPN owner may try harder to keep their VPN online.
If you don't check the settings of a VPN, a lot of them come with an automatic kill switch, which turns off internet the moment the VPN is offline, which can be a headache.
froggyboy604

Post by froggyboy604 »

Skeithex wrote:
froggyboy604 wrote:Spybot and Spywareblaster has a tool for adding spyware sites to block with the Host file in Windows.

Some firewall software, parental control website monitoring software, and routers also let you block sites.
if I remember right though, websites can somehow get around basic parental control settings.
I think proxy sites can get around parental control setings.
Skeithex
Has no home to go to

Post by Skeithex »

I know you can with proxy, but some sites are set up not to be pinged by the parental settings.