ad blocker

Need help in the world of technology? Here is the section for you, or talk about your favourite tech related topic, or what is new in the world of tech here.
Skeithex
Has no home to go to

Re: ad blocker

Post by Skeithex »

I do use a paid VPN for myself when ever I need to do something special. Never hurts to be extra careful.
froggyboy604
Anime music gaming Fanatic

Post by froggyboy604 »

A VPN may also help people from being wrongfully accused of downloading pirated content which they did not downloaded.

I saw a story of a lady being accused of downloading a first person shooter game by a game maker. She said she was not a PC gamer, and did not even enjoy FPS games. I think someone hacked her Wi-Fi to use her internet to download a game.

If she used a VPN on her router or PC, the game maker may not of came after her because it maybe too much of a hassle to ask a VPN provider for a user's real name and address, or the VPN maker does not share users names with other companies.
Skeithex
Has no home to go to

Post by Skeithex »

I've heard plenty of stories like that, its why you need password protected stuff as well as security.
froggyboy604

Post by froggyboy604 »

Using a VPN may also protect you from being accused of downloaded pirated files from a website since the VPN is usually located in a different place than your home. I think some VPN will not as easily give your home address to a copyright holder company like a game company. I think a ISP may more likely give your home address to a company if you or a user like a family member are being accused of visiting a website which host pirated files like old anime episodes which users can't easily legally buy in their country.
Skeithex
Has no home to go to

Post by Skeithex »

Actually that would only protect you if you're currently on, not sure if you can or if all routers support VPN that would protect you should someone hijack your wifi.
froggyboy604

Post by froggyboy604 »

I think some of the cheaper routers may not support VPNs.

Hopefully, the guy, which hijacks a person Wi-fi router to download pirated files, is using a good VPN, so the owner of the copyrighted files is less likely to ask the VPN provider to hand over the router's owner's home address.
Skeithex
Has no home to go to

Post by Skeithex »

I'll have to see if my router takes VPN, but if I set that up wouldn't it mess with my internet if the VPN acts up or disconnects?