You do not rent games in japan

Talk about games made for Nintendo, Xbox, playstation consoles & portable consoles, or Computers here.
Skeithex
Has no home to go to

You do not rent games in japan

Post by Skeithex »

In Japan, generally speaking, you cannot rent video games, nor can you rent consoles. It's just not done.

Software and hardware companies successfully pushed for a ban on rentals, which is why used games in Japan are in such good shape. Players buy new games, complete them very quickly and then sell them second hand. Pristine condition means higher resale. (However, it is possible to rent CDs, so sort that one out!)

For a limited time, at least one retailer is offering players the chance to buy an Xbox 360 and then sell it back for only ¥2,000 (US$25) less than the console's original price. The catch is that players only have seven days after purchase to decide whether or not they'd like the hardware.

So essentially, this is renting an Xbox 360 for ¥2,000! But this retailer should be warned. Back in 2003, a Fukuoka-based game shop was caught "renting" video games due to its system of buying back week-old games for 80 percent of their sticker price, which would mean it was essentially renting. The shop was investigated by the police and even brought up on criminal charges by the district prosecutor. A similar fate could await this Xbox 360 seller.

source

wow, I did not know you couldn't rent games in japan. be interesting to see what would happen if the same thing happen in the states.
froggyboy604
Anime music gaming Fanatic

Post by froggyboy604 »

This kind of sucks, I wonder if this is helping video game sales or hurting it since people can't rent before they buy, so they risk buying a crappy game without knowing if it is good or not. This might also lead to an increase in exchanges/returns at a store when people hate the game they just bought.

I think most people in the states except for greedy game company owners want this to happen.
Skeithex
Has no home to go to

Post by Skeithex »

there's no real need to rent since you can look up youtube videos of how the game is played.
froggyboy604
Anime music gaming Fanatic

Post by froggyboy604 »

I just play the game at Gamestop, EBworld, and other places which have a demo of the game for people to play. I think YouTube videos only work if the game is not new since more people will upload to YouTube.

I heard with Xbox Live and PSN you can download demos to play to see if you like it, but demos can be misleading since I bet the company puts on the best game play, and when you buy the game it can be full of filler levels.
Skeithex
Has no home to go to

Post by Skeithex »

froggyboy604 wrote:I just play the game at Gamestop, EBworld, and other places which have a demo of the game for people to play. I think YouTube videos only work if the game is not new since more people will upload to YouTube.

I heard with Xbox Live and PSN you can download demos to play to see if you like it, but demos can be misleading since I bet the company puts on the best game play, and when you buy the game it can be full of filler levels.
new games stop poping up on youtube about 1-2 days after it's released.
kentran
Weakling

Re: You do not rent games in japan

Post by kentran »

Why stop it?