Unappreciated Anime (or Manga)

Talk about your favouite Anime series here.
SleepyNguyen

Unappreciated Anime (or Manga)

Post by SleepyNguyen »

So what're some animes you think that are just as good, if not better, than the mainsteam ones like Fullmetal Alchemist or Naruto? Rare gems that most people skip over because it seems like so few know they exist, and the ones that do give it a harder time for not being as action-packed and angsty as the other shows.

One of my personal faves is Soukyuu no Fafner. It's a mecha show, meaning giant robots normally with teenagers with pilots (sometimes combining but in this case not) where they're thrust into cockpits and made to defend the world, or things like that. The art seems to have pointless squiggly lines just underneath the eyes, and the character design is almost a direct copy of Gundam SEED and SEED DESTINY, but the story is infinitely better. Recommended Watch

One manga that I think gets little light is Salad Days. 18 volumes of short stories based on mostly teenage romance. The setting is all around one city, and there's one main pair in the series that have several chapters about them throughout the manga, but several others are either loosely linked or completely stand-alone with no ties to anyone else. They're not always happy endings either, but usually in the span of one chapter, a character undergoes alot of growth. Situations like lying in a relationship, liking someone older than you, and guys who just can't catch a break cause the girl they like likes someone else, something I bet many guys can relate to, if they're still in High School. 18 volumes just isn't enough. Recommended Read.
froggyboy604
Anime music gaming Fanatic

Post by froggyboy604 »

Da capo, Beck, detective academy Q
SleepyNguyen

Post by SleepyNguyen »

I thougth Da Capo had a huge cult following already, as well as Beck. Detective Academy Q I've heard of but don't know much about.
froggyboy604
Anime music gaming Fanatic

Post by froggyboy604 »

^ooo, your probably right, but none of my friends know much about these anime. all they know about is pokemon, digimon, DBZ, gundam seed.
SetoTK
Low flying mountains just to the right.

Post by SetoTK »

froggyboy604 wrote:^ooo, your probably right, but none of my friends know much about these anime. all they know about is pokemon, digimon, DBZ, gundam seed.
Very obvious reasons most people are actually oblivious to other animes that are not on mainstream channels, because there dumb idiots (generalisation)

and don't bother looking into the subject

but most animes have some sort of following, but to get a real feel for unappreciated would be to get a good selection of people who have limited interest to dedicated anime creeps
I never really understood Thursdays.
Nemo
SuperJunior!

Post by Nemo »

Romeo x Juliet is hardly heard of, Basilisk just a tad more, but I believe they're better and deserve more than Naruto or Inuyasha. <3 Gonzo's anime
FantasyFanMan
12 Girls band.

Re: Unappreciated Anime (or Manga)

Post by FantasyFanMan »

Mysterious Girlfriend X but it is understandable why a lot of people won't watch it. This anime has a saliva fetish.

But if you can get past that it is actually a really good slice-of-life/romance, albeit weird.

But seriously, if people can at least watch the first episode of it it is a really good anime. One of my favorites. And I absolutely love the voice actor they got for Urabe.