ad blocker

Need help in the world of technology? Here is the section for you, or talk about your favourite tech related topic, or what is new in the world of tech here.
froggyboy604
Anime music gaming Fanatic

Re: ad blocker

Post by froggyboy604 »

I think proxy server websites can get around parental control software.
Skeithex
Has no home to go to

Post by Skeithex »

pretty much the only reason for proxy, it was all the rage during when I went to school.
froggyboy604

Post by froggyboy604 »

I think are also use for getting around country and I.P. blockers on a website, so users from blocked I.P. can use a proxy to visit a site.

Most Proxy sites are also free, and easy to use compared to VPN which require you to install a VPN software or change network settings in Windows. Paid VPN also can cost a few dollars a month.
Skeithex
Has no home to go to

Post by Skeithex »

I do use a paid VPN for myself when ever I need to do something special. Never hurts to be extra careful.
froggyboy604

Post by froggyboy604 »

A VPN may also help people from being wrongfully accused of downloading pirated content which they did not downloaded.

I saw a story of a lady being accused of downloading a first person shooter game by a game maker. She said she was not a PC gamer, and did not even enjoy FPS games. I think someone hacked her Wi-Fi to use her internet to download a game.

If she used a VPN on her router or PC, the game maker may not of came after her because it maybe too much of a hassle to ask a VPN provider for a user's real name and address, or the VPN maker does not share users names with other companies.
Skeithex
Has no home to go to

Post by Skeithex »

I've heard plenty of stories like that, its why you need password protected stuff as well as security.
froggyboy604

Post by froggyboy604 »

Using a VPN may also protect you from being accused of downloaded pirated files from a website since the VPN is usually located in a different place than your home. I think some VPN will not as easily give your home address to a copyright holder company like a game company. I think a ISP may more likely give your home address to a company if you or a user like a family member are being accused of visiting a website which host pirated files like old anime episodes which users can't easily legally buy in their country.