Hot Router?

Need help in the world of technology? Here is the section for you, or talk about your favourite tech related topic, or what is new in the world of tech here.
Skeithex
Has no home to go to

Hot Router?

Post by Skeithex »

I've noticed that my router is constantly hot, like I couldn't hold it for long if I had to. Should routers get that warm usually?
froggyboy604
Anime music gaming Fanatic

Re: Hot Router?

Post by froggyboy604 »

Most of my routers I owned are warm to the touch, and the hot temperature does not cause problems like slowdown problems, and random disconnections.
Skeithex
Has no home to go to

Post by Skeithex »

I noticed mine has been having issues, requiring a reboot here and there. Maybe its just time to get a new one?
froggyboy604

Post by froggyboy604 »

Skeithex wrote:I noticed mine has been having issues, requiring a reboot here and there. Maybe its just time to get a new one?
Maybe your router got infected with a virus or malware which cause random problems. I read online that a router virus and malware can infect routers which have security vulnerabilities.

Poorly coded firmware may make a router randomly cause problems. I read that some software stop working after a certain date like the Y2K/2000 bug which made some software not work. Waiting for a new firmware update may fix your disconnection problem if the router company ever release a new firmware to fix your problem.

It can also be your ISP which is causing problems with your internet connection. I think rust/oxidation on metal connectors, and micro chips burning out can cause problems.

Static electricity damage from people touching the router, and power surges from the power brick and electrical system may break your router.
Skeithex
Has no home to go to

Post by Skeithex »

is there even a scanner for a router for viruses?
froggyboy604

Post by froggyboy604 »

Skeithex wrote:is there even a scanner for a router for viruses?
I think most router viruses are caught by volunteer and paid security researcher who find the virus while looking through code, OS files installed on their router for changes in the software code.

Some router virus creators may decide to turn in their boss for creating router malware because he is mad at his boss or he can avoid going to jail as long for confessing that he created malware for routers.

There maybe a scanner for router viruses, but it may not be very reliable at catching all router viruses.
Skeithex
Has no home to go to

Post by Skeithex »

So its more of the firmware update than an actual scan you can do to see if anything is up?