Hot Router?

Need help in the world of technology? Here is the section for you, or talk about your favourite tech related topic, or what is new in the world of tech here.
froggyboy604
Anime music gaming Fanatic

Re: Hot Router?

Post by froggyboy604 »

Skeithex wrote:So its more of the firmware update than an actual scan you can do to see if anything is up?
I think some more advance routers use a full Linux OS like Debian, so using an Linux antivirus like ClamAV may catch and remove some router malware.

A new firmware update may fix the router, but it may get infected again if the security update on the new firmware does not fix your router's security vulnerability, or a newer version of the router virus can infect your router's new firmware.

The security vulnerability maybe built-into the router's microchips, and other parts, so it may not be possible to fully protect security vulnerabilities which are built-into the routers chip if the chip maker does not release an update to fix the security vulnerability.
Skeithex
Has no home to go to

Post by Skeithex »

I'm not sure what routers run on, though I wouldn't be surprise if it was linux. I use not as common brand ASUS router, so I wouldn't think I run a high risk of infections.
froggyboy604

Post by froggyboy604 »

I think the chance of getting a router infected is not common since most virus makers spend most of their time making viruses for Windows 7 and 10, and Android because they are the most used operating systems.

If a lot of people use Asus routers, there maybe some router viruses which can infect asus routers because virus makers may make virus which will infect Asus viruses. There may also be some virus routers who decide to infect as many brands or routers as possible like how some virus makers make viruses for Apple Mac, Linux OSes, and other less common operating systems which is not as popular as Windows and Android which are the two most popular operating systems in the world.
Skeithex
Has no home to go to

Post by Skeithex »

I've checked around and I really haven't seen any reports on ASUS routers possibly being infected, though a lot do report it getting hot.
froggyboy604

Post by froggyboy604 »

Are there many computer security researchers who actively search for new malware infections for Asus Routers?

Sometimes less popular viruses may not get discovered until many years later, or whenever the creator of the virus tell people that he released a virus a few years ago after he got caught by the police, and hope to get a shorter jail time by admitting he is guilty.
Skeithex
Has no home to go to

Post by Skeithex »

Hard to say, I would think all routers would run on the same type of OS, maybe slightly tweaked based on the manufacture?
froggyboy604

Post by froggyboy604 »

I think the Google branded routers run on a custom Google OS which maybe based on Google Android or Chrome OS.