How often to upgrade routers?

Need help in the world of technology? Here is the section for you, or talk about your favourite tech related topic, or what is new in the world of tech here.
froggyboy604
Anime music gaming Fanatic

Re: How often to upgrade routers?

Post by froggyboy604 »

I feel some routers may just change the case, and make small changes to the firmware, but the router's firmware may still contain security problems which no one fixed yet.
Skeithex
Has no home to go to

Post by Skeithex »

I don't even think its possible to fix all the holes in a firmware, there will always be something that needs patching.
froggyboy604

Post by froggyboy604 »

I feel some router companies don't have the money to hire many workers to fix the security holes in firmware. Router companies may not have enough workers to fix the known security problems in firmware.

Most people now use cheap routers, or a modem router combo box which came with their internet service, and these routers may not quickly fix router security problems, or rely on free firmware to use to install on their router instead of making their own custom router firmware.
Skeithex
Has no home to go to

Post by Skeithex »

Those who don't have the money to properly update their stuff ind themselves without a job.
froggyboy604

Post by froggyboy604 »

I think installing a third-party router firmware like DD-WRT and Tomato router firmware may make old routers more secure than router's which are still using an old router firmware which have not been updated in many years.

But, DD-WRT and Tomato does not work on some routers.
Skeithex
Has no home to go to

Post by Skeithex »

I would be unsure about installing a third party, one minor issue and your whole network could be done for.