do you use SSD?

Need help in the world of technology? Here is the section for you, or talk about your favourite tech related topic, or what is new in the world of tech here.
froggyboy604
Anime music gaming Fanatic

Re: do you use SSD?

Post by froggyboy604 »

I feel more people are learning about SSD now that a lot of cheap $150+ Windows laptops and desktops mostly use cheaper SSDs which are 16GB to 32GB in size. Hard drives are not as common on very cheap new $150 PC. But, I think upgrading the SSD on a cheaper Windows laptop/tablet is harder because the SSD is physically installed on the motherboard like other chips like the BIOS/CMOS and sound chip, and the laptop motherboard my not have an extra SATA drive port to plug in a larger SSD drive.

Almost all Google Chromebooks use SSD which are 16GB and bigger in size. 16GB SSD is good enough for installing Goigle Chrome OS, storing a few small video and mysic files, and installing a few Android and Chrome OS Apps.

Chromebooks are used at some schools and workplaces.
Skeithex
Has no home to go to

Post by Skeithex »

I've seen some chrombooks, I don't think SSDs would do anything for them since most operate on 100 GB of storage or less.
froggyboy604

Post by froggyboy604 »

16 to 32GB SSD cost $10 to $15, so Chromebooks can be sold for $150 to $200 for low-end Intel Celeron and 11.6 inch screen.

Some newer Chromebooks can now run Linux and Google Android apps, so a bigger SSD can be useful for users who use Apps and programs like OpenOffice and Gimp Image Editor, and play Android games Like Asphalt 8 which can be many GBs in file size.
Skeithex
Has no home to go to

Post by Skeithex »

I know some chromebooks don't run processors on the same strength as a smartphone, even having a SSD wouldn't help much.
froggyboy604

Post by froggyboy604 »

I think there are a few Chromebooks which use processors which are found on cheap Android smartphones and tablets. Using a SSD won't make a Chromebook much faster, but a SSD can make loading websites faster, opening files, and refreshing a web site faster.
Skeithex
Has no home to go to

Post by Skeithex »

can a SSD load websites faster? Isn't that all processing and ISP speed?
froggyboy604

Post by froggyboy604 »

If you visited a website a few hours ago, your web browser store some website files like html and image filed on the temporary internet files folder. I think an SSD may make it faster to load websites you visited in the past.

Some web browsers like Google Chrome automatically download/pre-load websites from links in a websites, so they load faster from a hard drive or SSD.