Recommended AV?

Need help in the world of technology? Here is the section for you, or talk about your favourite tech related topic, or what is new in the world of tech here.
froggyboy604
Anime music gaming Fanatic

Re: Recommended AV?

Post by froggyboy604 »

Dial-up disconnect sometimes, and hog the phone line which made it almost impossible to download a large file without hogging the phone line. There is always a chance of a virus breaking the dial-up and networking/wifi program for connecting online, so antivirus coming on CDs is useful for removing a virus after you installed the antivirus from a CD, or use a start-up CD with an antivirus to remove a virus.
Skeithex
Has no home to go to

Post by Skeithex »

Didn't think viruses were possible over dial up, the increased size would make it too hard to download.
froggyboy604

Post by froggyboy604 »

I think there were floppy disc viruses, so there maybe a few simple viruses which are hidden within other program installers. People used to download small programs like video player installer files.
Skeithex
Has no home to go to

Post by Skeithex »

I do recall that teachers only wanted us to bring in new unopened floppys, used ones were not allowed.
froggyboy604

Post by froggyboy604 »

I think many floppy viruses infect a computer during startup because floppies can be used to boot a computer, and can damage files stored on a hard drive during boot.
Skeithex
Has no home to go to

Post by Skeithex »

Pretty sure files stored on them were also at risk of infection as well. Schools used them as USBs back in the day.
froggyboy604

Post by froggyboy604 »

I think they were at risk of infection if your computer is infected with a floppy virus. There is also a chance that a student copied a start up floppy system utility program to a floppy, and use it to format a hard drive, or copy the entire hard drive to an external drive or another computer.