Do you think E-readers will make people willing to read more or revolutionalize the literature industry?

MP3 Players And Music Gadgets disscussion.
froggyboy604
Anime music gaming Fanatic

Do you think E-readers will make people willing to read more or revolutionalize the literature industry?

Post by froggyboy604 »

It probably won't make people want to read more since people who don't like reading will probably not like reading on any type of device.

I much prefer books for reading since I can scan them in my PC, photocopy a page, and resell them easily to people. "I can even buy them online for a cheap price, and resell it at a slightly higher price or the same price to other people in need of a book for a class. I end up making a 10-30 dollar profit depending on the book, and the buyer saves a few bucks compared to buying it at the school's bookstore which is expensive in most cases.

I can buy used books for a few dollars or less, and they work perfectly well.

If I need something to read on, I just buy either a laptop, netbook, psp, ds, palm pilot, smart phone, PMP player, and a few batteries.

The literature industry might benefit from E-books, but they need to come out with more books worth reading or buying. What I dislike most about e-book readers are they mostly have a LCD which looks like a calculator LCD (Black and a weird brownish tint).

Once small colour LCD becomes thinner, more flexible, better resolution and use less power. More people probably rather buy a netbook, laptop, portable PMP for their reading needs.
SetoTK
Low flying mountains just to the right.

Post by SetoTK »

the cost of the reader needs to drop while features go up.

for them to be viable they need to have basic word processing features for notes,

though a major limiting factor is the cost of the eBooks why would i pay £8 for a digital copy of a book when i can get the paper version for £3 i could buy 2 versions in paper put one in an airtight bucket after 20 or so years when the first copy is unreadable get the other copy out and be marvelled at for being able to keep a book in such awesome condition and sell it if it worth anything

Paper is uneditable digital is always editable even when it says it not it is even more so viva la conspiracy
I never really understood Thursdays.
froggyboy604

Post by froggyboy604 »

The thing I dislike about digital copies of stuff are they occassionally get unreadable due to a failing hard drive with lots of errors, and if I forgot to backup then I can't read it.

Plus, some of the more popular books which are special editions "Gold covers, limited print # with a small number" like "Harry Potter's 1st printed copy, Manga, Comics, and Gold cover Guiness Book of World Records." might be collectors items, and I can see people putting them on Ebay to make a profit.

I don't really see people putting digital books on Ebay since it is probably has Digital Rights Management.

The problem with digital items are they are hard or illegal to sell on Ebay unlike used games, DVDs, books, CDs, and other forms of media, so if you buy used games you can resell them on Ebay and recover most of your losses, or make a profit if some customer is willing to bid more then the actual value.
Skeithex
Has no home to go to

Post by Skeithex »

If this gets people to read more, it will probably just lead to more people getting bad eye sight from staring at screens all day. If I were to read something long and common to read, I rather read it on paper.
froggyboy604

Post by froggyboy604 »

Skeithex wrote:If this gets people to read more, it will probably just lead to more people getting bad eye sight from staring at screens all day. If I were to read something long and common to read, I rather read it on paper.
I heard some of the E-readers can convert text to speech which isn't a new thing since MS been doing it for years now in Windows. But, then people will get hearing loss if they crank up the volume too much. Plus, it will be annoying hearing someone book being read out loud if it is a crappy book or the voice is robotic.