get another wireless router

Need help in the world of technology? Here is the section for you, or talk about your favourite tech related topic, or what is new in the world of tech here.
minaxiniya
Weakling

get another wireless router

Post by minaxiniya »

Im planning to get another wireless router cause this router i have broke and the internet company hooked up the router for me. What is the best wireless router to get and is it difficult to hook up and set all the information for the router.
Last edited by minaxiniya on Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
froggyboy604
Anime music gaming Fanatic

Re: get another wireless router

Post by froggyboy604 »

I use the Medialink - Wireless N Broadband Router . It cost $49.99, and it is good enough for me for playing YouTube videos, online gaming, and web browsing. The wireless signal stays connected, and never disconnected after almost a year of using it.

The Medialink router came with a easy to use setup CD which I can use to setup the router by making a username, and password to protect your Wi-fi with the setup CD. The web browser setup for the router is also simple to use.

There are also over 5000+ reviews with an average review rating of 4.5/5 stars on Amazon.
Skeithex
Has no home to go to

Post by Skeithex »

if that don't suit your needs, I highly recommend netgear routers. My current one is 3 years old and has given me little trouble.
froggyboy604
Anime music gaming Fanatic

Post by froggyboy604 »

It sounds like minaxiniya got the wireless router from the ISP since ISP don't set up routers unless it is from them.

It is a good idea to contact the ISP since they may replace the router for free, or you are already paying a modem/router rental fee for it, so you may still have to pay the fee to rent the modem/router unless you buy your own modem/router, and tell the ISP to cancel the fee because you got your own router/modem.

Using the ISP Router/modem will also prevent compatibility problems with the router not working with the modem which may happen sometimes.

A lot of ISP where I live giveaway routers and modems according to their ads to convince people to subscribe to their internet service because many modems/router cost $20-50 to buy, and the ISP in America and Canada make a lot of money from monthly internet subscribers that giving away a router/modem won't make the ISP lose money as long as subscribers keep subscribing to overpriced internet compared to Europe where "Packages that include the 8MBps speed are offered at anywhere between £3- £20 per month depending on the extras that one would choose." source: http://www.muniwireless.com/2008/11/27/ ... in-europe/
Skeithex
Has no home to go to

Post by Skeithex »

My ISP wanted like 5-10 dollars a month for a router and I said forget that. I easily saved myself more money by getting my own.