Cable channels

Talk about JTV/KTV/CTV shows like Anime, K-drama's, Sitcoms, TV shows, films, etc.
Skeithex
Has no home to go to

Cable channels

Post by Skeithex »

How much longer do you think cable channels will last before everything becomes on demand viewing?
froggyboy604
Anime music gaming Fanatic

Re: Cable channels

Post by froggyboy604 »

I think Cable Channels will last for many more years since Cable TV can broadcast live content like news, weather, sports, and less popular community TV shows like local talk shows or local political news. Some shows may not be popular enough where it is worth spending the time, and money to make it an on-demand series by buying the extra equipment and hiring more staff to maintain the on-demand equipment like computers, hard drives, servers, and other things needed for storing on-demand shows.

If the Cable channels can still get enough subscribers, and advertisers to pay the staff at the channel and run their channel, they will probably still have Cable TV.

Plus, movies, and TV shows maybe licensed just to be played once on a channel at a certain time, and it may cost subscribers/cable company more to make the movie or tv show on demand.

Some movie and TV show owners probably don't want their shows to be on-demand since it would lower their more expensive Blu-Ray movie and TV series disc sales, and sales of their movies on iTunes, Amazon Prime, and Google Play where they can earn more money from physical and digital sales than on-demand.
Skeithex
Has no home to go to

Post by Skeithex »

I really hope everything goes to on demand, just make it easier to view what you want to watch.
froggyboy604

Post by froggyboy604 »

I agree on-demand is the way to go, but I feel the smaller channels are unlikely to be ondemand because they can just afford to use their older TV channel equipment, and does not need to spend money hosting the content like Netflix, YouTube, and Hulu which are basically on-demand video websites with a lot if storage.

Plus, ondemand licenses to broadcast the shows may cost more if they are ondemand, and TV subscribers may not want to pay more for ondemand content when they can record the show to their DVR for free, or buy the Blu-Ray TV series disc, and watch the show in 1080P and 4K if the Blu-Ray is recorded in 4K and they have a 4K TV and Blu-Ray player.
Skeithex
Has no home to go to

Post by Skeithex »

froggyboy604 wrote:I agree on-demand is the way to go, but I feel the smaller channels are unlikely to be ondemand because they can just afford to use their older TV channel equipment, and does not need to spend money hosting the content like Netflix, YouTube, and Hulu which are basically on-demand video websites with a lot if storage.

Plus, ondemand licenses to broadcast the shows may cost more if they are ondemand, and TV subscribers may not want to pay more for ondemand content when they can record the show to their DVR for free, or buy the Blu-Ray TV series disc, and watch the show in 1080P and 4K if the Blu-Ray is recorded in 4K and they have a 4K TV and Blu-Ray player.
Some channels may be lost, some shows may be dropped sooner than expected but it will be the future.
froggyboy604

Post by froggyboy604 »

Skeithex wrote:Some channels may be lost, some shows may be dropped sooner than expected but it will be the future.
One of the problems with on demand websites like Netflix and Hulu is that movies and TV shows get dropped after the license for the show expires, and Netflix or the owner of the show refuses to renew the license after the show license expires.

I think these problems with broadcast licenses expiring will affect on-demand broadcast TV as well unless the TV channel pays a lot of money to become the owner of the show instead of renting the show for a few years.
Skeithex
Has no home to go to

Post by Skeithex »

froggyboy604 wrote:
Skeithex wrote:Some channels may be lost, some shows may be dropped sooner than expected but it will be the future.
One of the problems with on demand websites like Netflix and Hulu is that movies and TV shows get dropped after the license for the show expires, and Netflix or the owner of the show refuses to renew the license after the show license expires.

I think these problems with broadcast licenses expiring will affect on-demand broadcast TV as well unless the TV channel pays a lot of money to become the owner of the show instead of renting the show for a few years.
I like to think that if tv channels do go on demand, they will be exactly the same they are now, but instead of having to wait 4PM to watch a show you can watch it anytime. But like anything, license for shows expire sooner or later.