Flash Player IE plugin Windows Vista Fix

Need help in the world of technology? Here is the section for you, or talk about your favourite tech related topic, or what is new in the world of tech here.
froggyboy604
Anime music gaming Fanatic

Flash Player IE plugin Windows Vista Fix

Post by froggyboy604 »

Hi all,
I installed Windows Vista Ultimate last weekend, and like many I found that the flash player did not work on many sites including YouTube etc.

Well, the good news is I think I have the fix that many of you have been looking for:

I navigated my way to:

C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash

Then right clicked over both 'Flash9b.ocx' and 'FlashUtil9b.exe', and chose properties.

In properties choose the 'security' tab > Click on the 'everyone' account, and the button called 'edit' and then tick the box called 'allow full control' and also choose your own Windows local account name.

Once you have done this for both files run the FlashUtil9b.exe and it should install and update and tell you to restart. Do so and you should find that YouTube and other sites that use flash now work.

Let me know how you get on. theopenworldtechnician.com
Source: http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/ ... =y#4480396 written by theopenworld

It works. I had problems with flash and IE7/Avant browser flash in the past with certain sites like gametrailers.com . Now i can watch video on sites that require flash.
Last edited by froggyboy604 on Tue Apr 08, 2008 4:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
SetoTK
Low flying mountains just to the right.

Post by SetoTK »

if you just get the offline installer you will never have to worry about this problem anyway,

plus you will never have to restart as the files that are changed will not be in use,
I never really understood Thursdays.
froggyboy604

Post by froggyboy604 »

Do you mean this download: http://www.soft32.com/download_500.html

Adobe is making it harder for people to find their offline installer these days at http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/
SetoTK

Post by SetoTK »

yea, but there most upto date version
froggyboy604

Post by froggyboy604 »

Adobe seems to hide or don't have a offline installer on their site. All I can find is their online installer at http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/
SetoTK

Post by SetoTK »

Oh yea forgot, i have a redistribution license so i have easier access to the redistributables,

forgot they don't have offline installs for commoners :P
froggyboy604

Post by froggyboy604 »

Microsoft really should come out with some sort of windows update to do this :
C:\Windows\System32\Macromed\Flash

Then right clicked over both 'Flash9b.ocx' and 'FlashUtil9b.exe', and chose properties.

In properties choose the 'security' tab > Click on the 'everyone' account, and the button called 'edit' and then tick the box called 'allow full control' and also choose your own Windows local account name.

Once you have done this for both files run the FlashUtil9b.exe and it should install and update and tell you to restart. Do so and you should find that YouTube and other sites that use flash now work.

automatically if they didn`t already since I got a feeling a lot of people who use vista will just use Firefox or other third party browser that doesn`t use the IE since a lot of people are too lazy or don`t know how to change the perferences of the flashb.ocx and flashutil9b.exe files.